Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,988
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
5 members (hartfish, FishinRod, jmartin, Theo Gallus, Bigtrh24), 1,194 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
MattWI Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Here I go with a few different questions which are not related. So I finished my pond in May of 2012. I stocked FHM andn papershell crayfish immediately, and then shortly after bluntnose minnows, johnny darters, spotfin shiners. In October of 2012 I stocked 500 HBG, 200 YP, 100 SMB, 50 WE, 150 RBT, and an additional 50 # of FHM and 20 # of GSH. I am now down to 105 RBT post ice fishing harvest. Ice went out on 4/3 and I turned my Texas Hunter back on starting 4/4. As of today(4/7) still no RBT visibly feeding. How lond does it take for them to start hitting the feed again??

Based on these initial stocking rates, and a pond that didn't end up as big as anticipated (1.6 ac), is there any corrective measures recommended (addition or subtraction of any present species)?

I currently have one Texas Hunter feeder in place on the end of my dock. Will this be sufficient or should I place a second one??

Sorry for the long post with mutliple questions but I appreciate any info/ input. Thanks again!!

My trout have been feeding all winter in water temperatures as low as 40 degrees in my opinion they should be eating pretty regularly now.

Sarcasm...yet another free service I offer.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My trout didn't get agressive with the feed until the water temps were right around 50 degrees.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
My brook trout have been feeding all winter and feeding really hard every evening lately, but it's a small pond and brookies are more cold blooded than the other species IMHO.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/18/13 09:46 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The RBT last year fed very hard all winter long. In fact, I had 2 commit suicide. They jumped out of the water after the food and landed on the lid of the fish cages. They didn't flop back into the pond.........

The Goldens this year? Very lazy feeding, if at all. Now just in the past few days have they started to hit the floating pellets.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
W
W
Well this being our first full year with our comparably very small pond we have had a blast with our RBT. We fed sparingly all through winter starting in Dec. In NW Ohio we had ice on the pond probably 60-70% until mid-last month. Not thick but covered except for the varying opening around the aeration disks.

Our RBT have fed just "ok" at times and with Pirana like determination at others. After 25 years of fishing wild trout all over the country and beyond I have learned a ton this year on true "bite triggers" as the relate to weather and some of those are not as obvious as I used to think they were.

I have fished for and caught probably a dozen at different times throughout the last four months but only when the ice reseeded far enough to make it worthwhile.

As Cecil has already said in the last two weeks they have awoke from their long winter's knap and really been banging the pellets.

Today it hit a crazy and unpredicted 80 degrees here. The RBT's would have crawled up to the patio to finish off the cup of pellets we were tossing. I have about 20 left and they have grown to a very respectable size. I will be doing a complete pond take in less than 6-7 weeks with these temps until next fall. Woohoo fillets on the grill and in the freezer !

M
MattWI Offline OP
OP Offline
M

Last edited by esshup; 04/18/13 11:24 PM. Reason: added photo
M
MattWI Offline OP
OP Offline
M
By the way can someone tell me what to do when posting pics from photobucket to get them to show up without a link. Thanks!!

O
O
PB made several changes lately... If you copy the direct link then click add image from the full reply screen it will give you a scripted pop up.. Delete the http in blue then paste the copied link to add the IMG tags. Press enter and submit post... Should embed photo that way...

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: MattWI
By the way can someone tell me what to do when posting pics from photobucket to get them to show up without a link. Thanks!!

Just copy and paste the link with the img on each end.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: MattWI

Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird
First of all, you need to have the pic(s) you want to post on Pond Boss saved on your computer somewhere. Then...

1. Set up a free account at Photobucket.com if you have not already. You will need to come up with a user name and password to use every time you go to the Photobucket.com page.

2. Once that is done, and you have logged into Photobucket.com, click "Browse" on the Photobucket.com page to access the pics that are on YOUR computer.

3. Afer some scrolling, when you see the pic you want to post on Pond Boss, click on it and then click "Submit" on Photobucket.com.

4. Wait for it to download to appear on the Photobucket.com site a little lower on the page.

5. Notice the the addresses under the photo? URL, TAG, IMG? You want to point your mouse at the one that says IMG. Once it's highlighted push the control button and 'C' at the same time on your keyboard.

6. You are now ready to start a new thread on Pond Boss or post your pic as a "Reply" as you would if you were reponding to someone's thread. So either start a new thread or click "Reply" on Pond Boss. You will end up with a box to post your pic(s) just like if you were normally replying.

7.) Find the button that says "Image" and click on it. See the box that appeared in the upper left corner that says "Explorer User Prompt"? See the line that starts with http://? You want to push the control key and the 'V' key at the same time now on your keyboard and the Image address should appear on that line. Then click O.K.

7.) You should now see the address appear in the reply box or box where you are starting a new thread. (no picture yet) Get rid of the extra imgs on each side and then click "Preview Post."

Important: You don't want any duplications on each side of the address. Just an Img on each end and then the Image address.

If you pic appears the way you want it to, go back and click "Add Reply" and you should be all set.

Or you can skip "Preview Post" and just click "Add Reply." If it's not the way you want it click the Edit/Delete image (paper and pencil) and come back and change things.

BTW, you can add text anywhere you want in the box with your image address as long as it's not connected to your image address.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!