Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Jughead, MikeInVA, BCJohn, Sell TX Houses F, Papisox
16420 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics37,514
Posts511,075
Members16,420
Most Online3,583
Jan 15th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
esshup 24,269
ewest 20,111
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 13,214
Who's Online Now
16 registered members (clee, Zep, ty1174, wbuffetjr, John Fitzgerald, JLB, JIMS SVT, Quarter Acre, RStringer, McClellanW, Journeyman, Sunil, Pat Williamson, FayetteTX, Kris B, gehajake), 370 guests, and 562 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Questions & Observations Jump to new posts
Eggshells in pond? Journeyman 36 minutes ago
Hate to ask a stupid question but, been have thinking of this for years, so here goes.

Are there any benefits or drawbacks to adding eggshells (chicken eggs) to the pond?

The thought of benefits are motivated by a few things, shells are mostly calcium and we know ponds need some hardness or calcium to be healthy. I recall my grandma used to put crushed eggshells in the garden to help increase calcium to the veggies, at least that was the explanation. Another is, in a pond that is mostly a mud bowl, would the shells offer some sort of terrain, that the fish might benefit from?

As far as drawbacks, I wonder how long it takes the eggshells to start the breakdown and give up the minerals, would they ever breakdown at the bottom of a pond? Any others???

Obviously the mucus portion of the eggshell might bring unwanted results so, a rinse and a week in the sun, before introduction, might be in order.

Pond experts, what say you?
0 10 Read More
Re: Corona-virus & Our Ponds RStringer 52 minutes ago
My 401k has taken a major hit. But if my family and me are not alive it dosnt matter how much is in there. Iv never seen a headstone with a bank balance on it. There will be business that close over this and there will be others that thrive. I have a buddy who just bought a bar n grill n my hometown. He has taken a hit also. Going from bout 10-15 works to 3 including himself. I wish mine was only down 50k. In reality it will work out in the long run for me. I'm still 20+ years from retirement. Sonit would b better for me if the stock market was down until then. I just wish there were no more funerals over this. Even the people who recover dont come back 100%.
172 4,442 Read More
Fertilization Jump to new posts
Wait or Not? JLB 1 hour ago
I will be spraying my 2 acre pond trying to kill Longleaf Pondweed which is not bad. I have raked most of it out but I still have some around an island. . How long do I need to wait to fertilize the same pond?
0 14 Read More
New Forum Member Introduction Jump to new posts
Re: I'm a new member jpsdad 1 hour ago
Swingle described maximum growth of the northern strain as > 2/year. This kind of growth occurred when the LMB were unable to reproduce. He thought large numbers of BG exuded a hormone that suppressed their own (and the LMB) stimulus to spawn. Others thought the BG harassed the nest to the point they all ended in failure. It may not be black and white and may actually be grey. In any event, without the offspring intercepting their gravy train ... adult LMB may achieve their maximum growth potential.

It may not be possible to achieve 8 lbs in 3 yrs. On the other hand, if the conditions are set for maximum growth and 8 lbs was achieved in 4 or 5 years ... hey that's awesome.

It's important to understand that under normally recommended stocking rates, the achievement of 8 lb LMB may not happen even with dedicated effort in management. Typical stocking rates are designed to achieve LMB reproduction the year after stocking and are also intended to prevent BG overcrowding. Anything done to maximize BG reproduction and delay LMB reproduction will serve to rapidly grow LMB. A couple of things that will do this:

1. Fewer LMB at the initial stocking (less competition)

2. A limited number of adult BG. (Lots of food for adults to induce repeated spawning and lots of room for little BG like in a BG hatchery pond)

This would maximize the LMB growth and probably delay LMB spawning for a couple of years or more. If LMB are sufficiently restricted in the initial stocking and the pond is basically a hatchery in the beginning I think it is almost a foregone conclusion that some of LMB will attain weights of 8 lbs though it might take a year or two longer.

But to this I digress. It might be a lot more fun to try to do it (under a typical stocking plan) and fail than to actually achieve the goal. Given all the trophy fish will be the same age, there won't be many of them and the BG won't be large. Might be more fun to cull LMB and catch some nice panfish to fry. Just saying ...
8 148 Read More
Re: New Member Theo Gallus 2 hours ago
Howdy.
2 68 Read More
Evaluating and adjusting fish populations Jump to new posts
Re: A Crappie Problem Pat Williamson 2 hours ago
Originally Posted by nvcdl
My 1 3/4 ac pond had (has) a similar problem. Bought the property last year and it was full of 8-10" crappie but bass fishing was slow and most of bass caught were small 10-12" tho I did catch a handfull of better bass in the 3.5 - 5lb range.

I took out 125 crappie last year and added more bluegill (575 medium size and 600 small ones).

This year I can see bass cruising the shoreline on sunny days. The bass seem to be putting on some size and looking healthier. Can also see lots of bluegill fry in shallows (something I did not see last spring).

My theory is that the crappie overpopulated and ate up most of the bass fry and young bluegill. The few bass that got some size must have fed on crappie and other bass. Pond is on clearer side in winter 3'-3.5' visability - 2'-3' visability in summer with lots of weeds.

I would like that if you fish your crappie hard you might be able to turn things around by adding forage. I've also been clipping fins on small crappie and throwing them back so bass can eat them.

My question is how do the crappy eat up the bass fry when as soon as the BCP swim up they head for open water to feed on plankton? Where bass stay close to shore.
4 190 Read More
Re: Dang birds nehunter 2 hours ago
You could use the light weight electric fence wire. Would last more than one year and they may not see it till it is too late.
4 63 Read More
Building a dam Jump to new posts
Re: Underground Automatic Siphon System nehunter 2 hours ago
I just assumed it was to keep the erosion down by spreading the water stream out.
4 83 Read More
Property Projects & Construction Jump to new posts
Re: What did you do at your pond today? TGW1 5 hours ago
Augie, my first spring was like you describe with all the frogs. I had hundreds and hundreds of them everywhere. Tadpoles too. But after my lmb grew the next spring their numbers dropped to just a hundred or so with some of them being big bullfrogs. And then the frogs learned not to get in the big pond lol. They took to my sediment pond instead.
2,045 810,673 Read More
Re: Yellow Perch Spawn 2020 Downrigger56304 12 hours ago
[Linked Image]
28 1,432 Read More
Re: Found Tons of Baby Bass in my Trout Pond Bill Cody Yesterday at 08:52 PM
What are you using for bait to catch those 6" bass? Bite will be slow until the water warms to 55F+. Best bite will begin when water reaches 60F.
76 7,062 Read More
Re: Does this YP appear in good body shape? Bill Cody Yesterday at 08:40 PM
It your yellow perch were pellet trained fish when you bought them, then consider trying to feed them some good quality high protein (40%+) pellets when the water reaches 55F-60F. I've seen some pellet trained perch not grow well and stay relatively skinny in ponds that have lots of minnows. IMO some but not all YP are often dumb about converting from pellets to natural foods. Consider trying first to buy a smaller amount of pellets from a fish farm to see if your YP will eat pellets before buying a 40 or 50 pound bag. This place in Ohio and others will sell you lesser amounts of high quality fish pellets. Shelby Fish Farm Anna Ohio.
3 168 Read More
Re: New member, and Pond Owner from Ohio Theo Gallus Yesterday at 08:35 PM
WRT Short Term Goal #1, Blue Tilapia would live the longest this Fall (fatal temp = 45 degrees IIRC), but IF you can still get in on Tilapia delivery this year I'd take whatever the supplier has. My Tilapia dealer (Jones Fish) will supply either Blue or Nile, whatever they get shipped up from (somewhere) down South.

I am using 20 lbs/acre for FA control with no chemicals, but that is in a stable situation rather than starting from a bad infestation. The recommended 30lbs/acre might be a good idea at first; adjust future stocking levels based on how it goes.

I suspect that Tilapia mostly eat the FA growing on the bottom before it floats up, but I see them eating at the surface (mostly around pond shoreline) often in warm weather.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Lots of dock options, match to your budget. I've got one cheap crappy one and one slightly less cheap decent one, both of which I built myself over pilings driven before the ponds filled up.
5 135 Read More
Types of fish to choose Jump to new posts
Re: For southern ponds, why not RES & LMB? Theo Gallus Yesterday at 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by jpsdad
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Originally Posted by jpsdad
For folks who like panfish, like myself, the large population of small bass is a means to the end of healthy harvestable panfish.

Brother!

Well I'm not sure if that is admiration or disgust smile but even if the latter, I will allow Theo the freedom.

Admiration and empathy, I assure you.
17 448 Read More
Wildlife Management Jump to new posts
Re: Bald Eagles anthropic Yesterday at 07:58 PM
All things considered, another advantage of highly fertile water that diminishes visibility. Even cormorants might find it more difficult to grab fish in pea soup, a consummation devoutly to be wished.
9 198 Read More
Re: Building new forage mini pond snrub Yesterday at 06:24 PM
I would guess inch and a half to two inches. Most 1.5". They were nice looking fingerlings.

I may have a few moralities. I did not do as good of job of acclimating them as I should have. A couple swam out of the bag ok after mixing in some pond water and waiting for a while so I thought they were ready. Dumped them out and a bunch (10%) sunk to the bottom in 6" of water. I picked them up and moved some around and they swam off and acted better. But I think I rushed it too much.

Will go out in a little while and check for floaters.
143 98,404 Read More
Show off your catch Jump to new posts
Re: Omega 3 in fresh water fish???? snrub Yesterday at 06:20 PM
What really helped was the positive feedback was almost instantaneous. I would never have imagined partial results would come that quick. Wife has been on a diet at least a dozen different times over the last 30 years or so. Weight watchers at least 4 different times with girlfriends. But this change she felt better within days. We both did. And that made all the difference.
8 181 Read More
Re: Panther visit RAH Yesterday at 05:58 PM
All my guineas of both genders were taken. They actually held on for a couple years and had multiple batches of babies, but as indicated by others, lots of predators take them; coyotes, fox, raccoons, mink, bobcats, hawks, owls, weasels, etc. We do not have many turkeys either, and other ground nesting birds are equally scarce. Since wood ducks nest in tree holes, they have fared better.
28 867 Read More
Re: Water temp for surface feeding cats Ryan M Yesterday at 02:26 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I was hopeful when I saw that the koi made it but they are also quite large so I wasn’t sure if they would be targeted by the otter. I guess I’ll just keep my fingers crossed and wait for the water to warm a bit more.
3 111 Read More
Re: Silly newb question Bill Cody 04/01/20 09:22 PM
Firstly you want to determine the type of subsoil and see how much compactable clay is present. If there is good clay within 4 to 6ft of the surface then the pond will not be a water table pond. Loose sandy soil usually results in a water table pond where the water level goes up and down during the seasons; high when wet and low when dry. I've seen water level in water table ponds in NW Ohio go up and down 5-7ft (2m).

A lot of ponds in Ohio are dug ponds on fairly flat clay based ground. A good dug pond is not just a dug hole. The topsoil is removed 8 ft wider than the final size until good clay is reached. Then the pond bottom basin is dug out and compacted with sheepfoot rollers, not by bull dozers because bull dozers are not good soil compactors. Then the deep dug out clay is layered in 4"-6" "lifts" around the 8 ft wide rim as a band around the outside edge and compacted with the sheepsfoot roller. Excess dirt from creating a deep pond can be use to create a sloping watershed to help fill the pond during wet periods. This creates a well sealed all clay lined pond basin that if done correctly will have minimal leakage. Once the pond fills there is enough rain to keep the pond filled year round with water evaporation loss and seepage of 12"-20" each year. If runoff from building roofs is run into the pond the pond stays full. Annual precipitation in northern US and eastern Canada is usually more than 2ft.

For a water table pond just a simple hole is dug out in the porous ground and ground water seepage determines the water level.

A pond in Canada should be at least 16 to 22 ft deep to minimize winter fish kills due to extended snow cover that usually kills the fish in shallow 8 to 12 ft deep northern ponds.
7 162 Read More
Re: Spring fed Trout pond project Dave Davidson1 04/01/20 03:27 PM
Sounds neat
3 90 Read More
Re: Mosquito paradise Dave Davidson1 04/01/20 03:23 PM
Haven’t seen one at home or in the country
7 307 Read More
Re: Snags are our friend... Dave Davidson1 04/01/20 03:18 PM
That’s neat
1 82 Read More
Re: Never been much for fishing, but maybe someday.... Pat Williamson 04/01/20 01:39 PM
It was Tracy
240 165,391 Read More
Re: Small particle feeder NEDOC 04/01/20 01:12 PM
If you have a dock over some deeper water, or are up for building one, I'd use one of these. It works great if you live on your pond and can fill it every day.

https://www.aquaticed.com/products/fiap-belt-feeders
3 117 Read More
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Eggshells in pond?
by Journeyman - 04/03/20 11:58 AM
Corona-virus & Our Ponds
by RStringer - 04/03/20 11:42 AM
Wait or Not?
by JLB - 04/03/20 11:29 AM
I'm a new member
by jpsdad - 04/03/20 10:34 AM
by Theo Gallus - 04/03/20 09:57 AM
A Crappie Problem
by Pat Williamson - 04/03/20 09:50 AM
Dang birds
by nehunter - 04/03/20 09:41 AM
Underground Automatic Siphon System
by nehunter - 04/03/20 09:36 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by TGW1 - 04/03/20 06:43 AM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2020
by Downrigger56304 - 04/02/20 11:36 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Peppers pond
Getting photos on this forum is a PITA!
Retreat
I Subscribe Permanent Link
Need Plants Identified - Texas Pond - Lily Pad ...
Personal Record BGxRES

� 2014 POND BOSS INC. all rights reserved USA and Worldwide