Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Croakin' Toad, oldironhead, Bdonley66, BradE, TrapperUtah
16586 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics37,798
Posts513,831
Members16,586
Most Online3,583
Jan 15th, 2020
Top Posters
esshup 24,296
ewest 20,169
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 13,315
Who's Online Now
11 members (brah, JKS3613, John Fitzgerald, FireIsHot, snrub, Snakebite, KingRace78, Bing, Pat Williamson, oldironhead, Bobbss), 667 guests, and 372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Wildlife Management Jump to new posts
Re: Deer mount RAH 1 minute ago
I gave up on that and just let them chase the older bucks into my place where they have everything they need. Of course, that means they chase all the does into my place:)
13 157 Read More
Building a dam Jump to new posts
Re: It just ain't fair Snakebite 53 minutes ago
Nice Fish. Did all those SMB originally come from the forage pond or the the main bow?
255 110,216 Read More
Types of fish to choose Jump to new posts
Re: Finally pulled the trigger! 5444 1 hour ago
Found this guy the other day.
93 10,086 Read More
Should I aerate? Jump to new posts
Re: Lethal DO levels but fish survive & thrive. HOW? DrLuke 2 hours ago
I was curious about how much (if any) gas exchange happens THROUGH the ice. I had always been assuming none. Found this old paper (https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3402/tellusa.v11i3.9311), which confirms no exchange occurs. Gases do get released when ice melts, so oxygen trapped in the ice will be released into the dome pocket. It potentially could account for *some* oxygen entering the water column.

If the dome breaking pole system is effective, you may have cracked this nut. 🤞
6 100 Read More
Questions & Observations Jump to new posts
Re: Little YP, look ok? Theo Gallus 2 hours ago
Well, he looks better than the year old YP I caught last night.
4 85 Read More
Evaluating and adjusting fish populations Jump to new posts
Re: Could bass have died? anthropic 3 hours ago
Good luck!
7 147 Read More
Corrective stocking Jump to new posts
Re: Re-stocking CC jpsdad 5 hours ago
Yes indeed. tis the season. the 1" crawdads are perfect forage for the 4" to 6" CC. I'd rather eat crawdads than fish food too! smile
9 231 Read More
Re: Found Tons of Baby Bass in my Trout Pond Fyfer123 6 hours ago
I'm glad to hear the growth is okay. I don't know if this is just me, but the small bass seem really elongated. As in, they don't really look like "real" bass when you look at their profile in the water. I wonder if any of them will reach a decent size by the end of this summer.

I don't really know what I should do about these bass. One one hand, my trout seem very healthy. They are really agressive when I'm fishing for them, and I have caught at least four since the ice went out. They seem fat and large in general, around 26" long. I think, as you mentioned last year, the trout has a massive advantage over the bass until around now. Since we've had such a cold Spring, the trout has been active for months, while the bass were only visible this week. Because of the trout seeming fine, I really don't know what to do about the bass. I don't think it is at all possible for me to catch them all, especially with the larger ones being really smart.

Because of that, would it be best if I just:

1. Leave them be.
2. Catch and keep as many as possible to help them grow.
3. Stock bait fish.

The problem with option 2 is that there are so many that it's really hard to catch even a good percentage of then. They are also pretty careful now about being caught and are so skittish.

Option 3 is okay, but finding fish is a big pain where I am, and I am sort of weary of adding even more fish, considering I don't know what else the person added. He said he also added trout, but those could have been anything. He basically caught fish somewhere else and dropped them in.

I can try the minnow method if I catch some in my pond near the shallows, which is possible.

In terms of the person adding the fish, it's very irritating, although there is nothing I can do about it now. The only way I found out was by seeing him fishing by the pond. We asked him what he was doing there, and he explained the stocking he did. There is a little more to the story that makes what he did somewhat understandable (he thought he had permission).

Anyways, thanks again, Bill, and I am interested to see what you say about the information above.
82 8,143 Read More
Show off your catch Jump to new posts
Re: Getting Big....... brah 7 hours ago
Beautiful big male!
13 1,146 Read More
Systems questions Jump to new posts
Re: 8 acre pond at 10,000' - lots of aeration ?s wbuffetjr 8 hours ago
Thanks fellas! Can't wait to get out there and do some fishing. I should have trout bigger than any trout I've ever caught before. Can't wait!
657 463,972 Read More
Hydrilla tim k 8 hours ago
had issues with it last year and had someone come out and treat with Sonar - it worked well.

Now I notice it is showing up around my pond edge again so I ordered a bottle of it. I am reading it needs to be applied with a sprayer but to not spray it on top of the water but to put the sprayer head under the water. Is that the best way to apply? Thanks
0 33 Read More
Pond Boss Jump to new posts
Re: 8.66 inches anthropic 16 hours ago
This has been a bad year for tornadoes, Dave. Glad you are okay!
3 141 Read More
Re: Pellet feeding issues anthropic 16 hours ago
Ryan, if Dustin can't get Optimal to you due to the virus, private msg me. I've got some extra.
15 374 Read More
Re: Fish holding capacity brah 18 hours ago
Bluegill absolutely love to eat small fish. I’ve watched 11 inch bluegill eating adult gams for hours.
30 625 Read More
Re: Now what kswaterfowler Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Not saying lmb arent present but we haven't seen them. A billion big bullfrog tadpoles though.
2 106 Read More
Help with Thomas 2660 Ahinsch Yesterday at 07:57 PM
I have a Thomas 2660 and noticed this morning it wasn't running when it should be. I went out and looked at it and it felt hot. I'm guessing it tripped the thermal breaker. I went back out a few hours later and plugged it back in. I could hear it humming but wasn't running. I turned the fan by hand and it started running like normal. I turned it off and tried to start it again with the same issue, this time I couldn't get it to start by spinning the fan. I haven't had time to really dig in to it yet but wondering if someone knows what my problem would most likely be?
0 31 Read More
Creating habitat Jump to new posts
Re: Floating islands? ItalyBASS Yesterday at 07:46 PM
Nehunter you re right about pvc pipe. I made a 3’x3’ turtle trap using it years ago and it s still floating, but it s heavier and rigid.
For theisland I wanted something I can manage by myself, easy, fast and cheap. I still don t know if it will work, plants will be bare roots and probably I ll have to take all out before winter or they will froze.
5 132 Read More
Re: Golden Shiner Fry? ItalyBASS Yesterday at 05:49 PM
If you can catch some, they are easily recognizable even if fry. This is a pic of mine taken a few days ago.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
11 230 Read More
Image Gallery Jump to new posts
Re: Mean Mouth Bass?? jpsdad Yesterday at 04:11 AM
I have to wonder if you added a single female LMB to your SMB bow whether there would be some meanmouths simply because she'd have no one but the SMB gents to court her.
11 394 Read More
Re: New pond aerator water clarity Bill Cody Yesterday at 02:36 AM
Don't expect the aeration to help much to reduce filamentous algae growth. I have never seen a published journal article that shows aeration helps reduce FA. Aeration controlling algae is a very general term and used my many to sell aerators. I've seen way too many algae dominated ponds with good aeration to believe aeration will control algae.

Nutrient abatement of the proper macro and / or micro nutrients is what is needed to control excess algae. Full knowledge of that is still being learned. Unless someone has some documented proof then I would like to see it.

There are many genera of filamentous algae and even more species within those genera. Some are phosphorus hogs and some are nitrogen hogs. Likely each different one (specie) prefers a specific blend of nutrients that makes it grow profusely. Plus the lack of competition for nutrients and space from other plants no doubt allows FA to over grow. If the pond has too few native plants why wouldn't some rampant primary invader plant / FA want to fill the fertile space? Weeds do it on bare dirt,,,,, why not in water?
4 129 Read More
Re: Gar to control LMB? Asking for a friend jpsdad 05/23/20 10:31 PM
To be sure, I don't know exactly what I will eventually do when it comes to stocking my own pond. Its evolved, but I would like to have a pond of 6 to 8 acres like you. Part of what makes me uneasy about what not to stock is not fully understanding how species interactions will play out. From the management side it seems much easier the fewer the interactions are. The simpler the interactions, the more predictable the outcome a management action will be.

I like the idea of a two species combination where bonus sport fish (and possibly a bonus prey fish) are temporary. I also like a single predator (like LMB, SMB, or HSB) in combination with small non-competitive prey where bonus sport fish (and possibly a bonus prey fish) are temporary.
3 147 Read More
Re: Bullhead / Stunted Bluegill ShortCut 05/23/20 05:33 PM
It does sound like the openings are too large. Add something below and above the bait in the cloverleaf. I like using the top and bottom of plastic half gallon milk jugs. This keeps BH from a free meal. Keep plenty of bait in the traps. If they are not eating they will be trying to find a way out. I use old socks with holes just big enough to let some bait come out. 20-30 holes. Cheap dog food is greasy. I use the multi fish food from Tractor Supply. It is about .50/lb. Add bait every other day. When it smells rotten, dump the bait. Try setting the traps near each other about 5-6ft deep. You will catch fewer other fish. Check traps daily if possible.
In the last year I've removed 2000+ BH YOY via cloverleaf traps.
11 350 Read More
Feeding Jump to new posts
Re: Managing for global warming brah 05/23/20 02:45 PM
I was helpless to stop myself.😗
174 287,029 Read More
Controlling unwanted plants Jump to new posts
Re: Grass Carp vs Tilapia anthropic 05/23/20 11:37 AM
Thanks for the great info, Al. Looks like I'm gonna need it.
28 20,533 Read More
Raising Forage and Bait Jump to new posts
Re: What size forage pond would u build TGW1 05/23/20 11:32 AM
Thanks for the info. The 60 day old suggestion really helps me make the call of adding them or not. Price for those and shipping cost and shipping survival will now come into play.
38 1,013 Read More
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
A pond dedicated to Redear Sunfish
by Snakebite - 05/25/20 02:20 PM
Deer mount
by Pat Williamson - 05/25/20 01:50 PM
Finally pulled the trigger!
by 5444 - 05/25/20 01:40 PM
Lethal DO levels but fish survive & thrive. HOW?
by DrLuke - 05/25/20 12:53 PM
Little YP, look ok?
by Theo Gallus - 05/25/20 12:14 PM
Could bass have died?
by anthropic - 05/25/20 11:21 AM
Re-stocking CC
by jpsdad - 05/25/20 09:37 AM
Found Tons of Baby Bass in my Trout Pond
by Fyfer123 - 05/25/20 08:45 AM
Getting Big.......
by brah - 05/25/20 08:09 AM
8 acre pond at 10,000' - lots of aeration ?s