Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,941
Posts557,757
Members18,480
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,501
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,139
Who's Online Now
8 members (esshup, Fishingadventure, Brad346, Joe7328, Foozle, Freunb02, Dave Davidson1, Bill Cody), 997 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Evaluating and adjusting fish populations Jump to new posts
Re: Hi there quick question on going forward esshup 7 minutes ago
If your goal is to grow fish, then the clarity that you are at now is perfect - you don't need more clarity.

The bacteria IF ENOUGH O2 IS PRESENT WHERE THE LEAVES ARE AT will work on those leaves.
18 582 Read More
Evaluating and adjusting fish populations Jump to new posts
Re: How many LMB to remove? esshup 10 minutes ago
Foozie, I'd remove enough bass to reach between 100# and 120# of bass removed this year. I would not add any forage to the pond until you have reached that goal.

To grow bigger bass, you want the bass to Bluegill ratio to be 1:25 to 1:30. That is with the bluegill of all different sizes.
5 87 Read More
Types of fish to choose Jump to new posts
Re: No feed HSB or CC small pond? esshup 14 minutes ago
Welcome to the forum. Ideals are great to have. Unfortunately, in this day and age, being able to afford what it takes to get a person's ideals to fruitation can be a big hit to the pocket book.

Case in point:

Fathead minnows for feed. If you can't raise your own in large quantities, look at the cost ratio vs. a good commercial feed. Figure 2# of commercial fish food to grow one pound of fish flesh. Compare that to 10# of Fatheads. (providing the fish are 10" or less). If the fish are bigger than say 10" Fatheads won't cut it, you will need a bigger forage fish. Don't even think about Gizzard Shad, YOY will outgrow what a HSB can eat in less than a year.

You have a background in ecology. I have to ask, what conversion rate do fish have when eating crayfish, or grass shrimp? How much do they cost per pound? Delivered, not prior to shipping.

I seriously doubt that you will be able to raise enough in the pond to satisfy the food requirements of your predator fish.
2 53 Read More
Questions & Observations Jump to new posts
Re: Opportunistic Munchers DrewSh Yesterday at 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by FishinRod
I hope the rest of your YP can survive through their stress period!

I've had several days of not finding any floaters, and last night they finally surface ate (with the SBS) with a fury. Before "death week," they were surface eating very well, then it slowed waaayyy down to the point I was concerned about how many nonfloaters there might be. Last night eased my mind. I didn't had a problem last year, but they were mainly 6-8ers" and all females. I was accidently given 9 males this year due to time constraints at pick up and I couldn't go through them until I got home, but ultimately decided I was already going to switch to a reproducing pond down the road, might as well now so I I can fish it more, and eat more out of it. All the females have been spawned out, and the males were producing milt when I put them in, so hopefully I got some fertilization. Lesson learned, avoiding transferring large fish during spawn time in the future!
2 67 Read More
Fly Fishing & Other Fish Species Jump to new posts
Re: How to catch Hybrid Striper FireIsHot Yesterday at 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Abaggs
Hey guys curious to see what you are catching your hybrid stripers on. So far the only thing I can seem to catch them on is pellet imitation flies and egg patterns around the feeders.

I read that to OP wanting something other than pellet sized bait/lures. SS do work well though.
9 241 Read More
Property Projects & Construction Jump to new posts
Re: Chestnut other trees for wildlife catscratch Yesterday at 05:19 PM
Aluminum window screen.

Wrap it around the trunk, use scissors to cut it long, staple it to itself. Very easy/cheap and protects against mice and rabbits.
105 21,575 Read More
Creating the food chain Jump to new posts
Re: Golden Shiners - What size to stock? Theeck Yesterday at 04:24 PM
Since esshup let me know that shiners don't spawn on brush, I ordered some spawning mats to put out. I actually had shiners nipping at a Rooster Tail yesterday so there are shiners surviving in the pond. I took the net down to chase any bass out and put it back up. Hopefully that takes care of the problem with the enclosure. Now I need to get some more shiners to put in the enclosure since the shiners probably left for the main pond too.

Here's the pond:
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/vx6XVgcg/013.avif[/img]

Some grass (Japanese Stiltgrass) hanging into the water (possible spawning cover in addition to the mats I ordered):

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/p5DzvDmZ/015.avif[/img]

The enclosure:

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/RqjgzRDc/016.avif[/img]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/R3gNcgHy/018.avif[/img]
61 47,475 Read More
Re: Braggin Time Jambi Yesterday at 03:41 PM
I dont have a big fish to brag about, but will brag about all of the nuggets I've learned from Pond Boss; both Bob himself and the forum community. We build an 8 acre pond in 2020....last night I was throwing feed off the dock, the water was busting with bluegills, HSB and largemouth and I was reflecting on some success to get this far along. I think I'm still on the upward climb to the "new pond bell curve" but man it's a beautiful sight to see these fish feed. Combine last night with having some kids catching fish a few nights ago and it's wonderful to see a plan come together!
6 199 Read More
Creating the food chain Jump to new posts
Re: Stocking Scuds and Shrimp lmoore Yesterday at 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by NNAFish
Anthropic…curious if ended up adding scuds in your pond.

I have talked to Kyle at PLM and am planning on adding a couple gallons to our 1 acre pond in Iowa as soon as they can get out and harvest this winter. It’s been so mild that the ice hasn’t allowed them to harvest yet this year (2024). We have YP, W, SMB and RES.

In my research, scuds are a win win. They feed in decaying plants, animals and fish waste….and even algae. And they reproduce well if they have enough micro cover to hide in so they don’t get eaten right away.

I’m going to give it a shot to see if we can get another forage base established for our perch and walleye. If it works in Devil’s Lake to produce perch and walleye that they’re known for, it’s worth a shot.

Does PLM have a new website? I was on there this spring and it didn't seem like they had anything in stock.
10 6,956 Read More
Systems questions Jump to new posts
Re: aeration pump type? esshup Yesterday at 03:12 AM
Listen to Bill. Rotary vanes are a whole LOT easier to rebuild too.

Depending on how much ice/snow you get you might want one in 4-5 foot of water for winter aeration. You shouldn't run the in the deepest part of the pond during the winter.
3 126 Read More
Re: fishing tackle and tackle room Fishingadventure Yesterday at 03:05 AM
I'm with you FR , Grand Children and Great Grandchildren are the answer . 14 plain Grands , 2 Great Grands , take all I can have. I give thanks for every one . Couldn't have stocked Saugeye last week without the help of a older one.
50 46,506 Read More
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/17/24 08:28 PM
How many LMB to remove?
by esshup - 04/17/24 08:24 PM
No feed HSB or CC small pond?
by esshup - 04/17/24 08:21 PM
Opportunistic Munchers
by DrewSh - 04/17/24 03:58 PM