Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Nice Bluegill, Bruce -- even in death. My condolences.

But . . .

Thanks to Pond Boss Magazine and the forum, I have some real big bluegill in my pond. Maybe now is the time I've been waiting for to ask this question.

Should I keep some of the really big bluegill?

I set my BG limits based on median length. I throw back those over the median length, and I keep those under the median length.

Throughout this season, that has been about 8.5 inch for females, and 9 inches for males.

The other night I kept a 9-1/2 inch female that had a lot of red sores. But I threw back several really nice 9-10 inch females (not a single male was caught).

I don't know if I should be taking some of the big ones so they don't die of old age. If so, how many? Should some of the the biggest ones gain immortality by shipping them to Cecil?

I sure hate to see them float up from old age. So far, that hasn't been happening.

Any suggestions?

Thanks all,
Ken

I think you shouldn't worry about keeping big bluegill. What's your true goal? If it has nothing to do with eating fish, then I think you should release the absolute optimal specimens, but I'd never, ever hesitate to harvest suboptimal fish. That would include fish with Wr's under 100, fish with parasites, etc.

If your goal is to eat fish, then keep some of your best females and enjoy. They're great deep fat fried in canola oil. But maybe consider always releasing the very best condition males so that your chances of catching a giant are as high as possible.

If they float up of old age, so be it. I've probably lost bigger than this and just didn't know it. It just so happened this fish was in a little pond.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.