Here's my thought process:

1) Based on extrapolation from the history of my first pond, which has basically the same soils (better, if anything, on #2), same watershed type (hayfield/pasture), very close watershed:pond ratio (#1 is 11 acres:0.9 acres, #2 is 5 acres:0.45 acres), and the amazingly similar insolation and evaporation factors that occur from being located all of 100 yds away, in an average year I expect the pond to be full going into Winter and to get less than a foot of ice thickness. So ice hopefully wont be a problem if the top of the BG condo is a foot or more below fullpool.

2) I expect to lose 6"-8" to evaporation in the hypothetical average year. So the condo should stay submerged most of the time.

I would have been happy with anything from 1' to 2', it just happened to come out to about 1' (I think; we'll see when she actually fills up). There is lots of other structure nearby (and a little more to come, weather this Fall permitting) which is farther from the surface, in case that works out better for the fish.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]