Don't take it so verbatim. I'm only trying to stir some discussion and debate by looking at pond management from the opposite side of fish to stock. Everybody has their own reasons for wanting or not wanting certain species in a pond. I'm simply posting my opinion based on what I want and have read. I'm not so much interested in hearing a defense of certain fish, but rather reasons why you don't want certain species in a pond.

On blues and flatheads: From what I've read these fish can do serious damage to fish populations in small ponds. Exceptions, sure...if you want these cats and do things such as feeding or extreme stocking variations. Would I like to have some of these bad boys in the pond I'm taking care of? You bet, I love fishing for monster cats. In fact, this pond has two blues and a flathead that the previous owner threw in about six years ago. Saw one of the blues and it was HUGE. However, in a typical "bass/bluegill" pond with no special management you are heading for trouble. I opt for channels, which can still grow to monster size and co-exists well in a typical bass pond, and will try to fish out the flathead and pair of blues this summer.

Same situation applies to crappie and perch, on which I take the opposite side of the fence. Many people say never to stock them in a small pond or you'll have stunting problems. However, I plan to try to keep them under control with heavy harvesting if they show signs of needing it. This pond had both of these fish for twenty years before I got to it. Very few and mostly large, so I stocked more.

Pumpkinseeds: I haven't read much positive information on stocking them. If snail control is desired you'd be much better off with shellcrackers that grow larger and don't pose an overpopulating problem.

Bullheads: Another example of where you can part ways. They're good eating and easy to catch, which is good enough for some. They also have a much easier time breeding in ponds, which often leads to problems. However, I'm a channel cat fisherman and bullheads are worse than bluegill at bait stealing to me. I've seen a few of my favorite channel cat lakes ruined by stunted bullheads to the point where I gave up fishing them.

Hybrids: Some swear by them but I tend to side with those who play down the growth rate of these fish compared to bluegill, and see no need to risk introducing green sunfish to a pond for what might be a faster growth rate.

Pike: I'm aware of this fish being used in low numbers to thin out stunted bass. Even considered using 2 or 3 per acre to reduce bass numbers. Still, I'd prefer methods that I can personaly control...such as removing bass myself and additional forage stockings.

Fathead Minnows: Conventional wisdom says you are wasting your money stocking them in an established pond. However, I know of a few small ponds that these minnows are prospering in and have been for years, despite the crappie and bass pressure. So, I threw 3200 in the pond and am hoping for the best. It's worth a try, anyway.

Again, be interested in you're presonal reasons for never stocking a specific fish, along with viable options you've substituted for them.