Bill, I don't know how they harvest either but Kyle told me that they developed their own way of harvesting and they can only do it through the ice. I talked to him about a week ago and they were harvesting somewhere up in Northern MN where they have what he called "pristine" ponds that don't get any insecticide runnoff. They were harvesting there because of low populations in the farming regions of the state. He also said they need to certify with the DNR that their sources are free from unwanted plants or organisms so they have to go through some certification process. He did not elaborate. I asked him whether they had ponds that they stocked for harvest or if they simply looked for wild sources. He said they did some of each but it sounded like mostly wild stock. He really didn't seem to want to tell me a lot. I think you all are correct that I will try to stock in areas of heavy vegetation. One question I also have though is whether cooler water would kill the scuds. I'm thinking perhaps I'll stock them in the section of my pond that is aerated. If you've seen my "Temperature Survey" post you see that my water temps in that part of the pond are somewhat low and thus no fish hang out there. Might be a good place to stock the scuds if they can survive cooler temps.

Gotta get back to fishin!