What a great trip!
Several exceptionally interesting developments. Mike and I teamed up with Barry Smith of American Sportfish Hatchery and Jeff Slipke of Southeastern Pond Management to give a program called, "Pond Management 101" to AFS members, mostly young agency biologists and employees who have been trained by traditional people in traditional ways. There were a few veteran biologists in the crowd, too.
We had a great time. The crowd was rapt, and questions were thoughtful. The last question was the most important one, in my opinion. Gene Gilliland, veteran biologist with the State of Oklahoma asked if it was time for colleges and universities as well as different government agencies should pay attention to the rapid paradigm shifts of pond management in the private sector. Good question.
Along the way to Memphis, Mike and I spent good time with Jason, advising him about his northeast Texas lake, then we trekked over to Avery and met with Eric Gilstrap to see his three acre pond. Button Willow is an interesting situation, one which deserves a story in Pond Boss.
After the AFS meeting, we headed to Pintlala, Alabama to brainstorm with Ray Scott and Jim Kientz. We spent two fun filled energetic days with the Father of Bass Fishing. When you get the chance, ask Otto if he plans to invest in Ray's South American agricultural opportunity involving a hybrid plant. We were surprised and flattered that Don Watts drove all the way from South Carolina to meet with us while we were there. Don is famous for his work with BassPro Shops. His job was to coordinate the opening of new stores in Ft. Lauderdale and Denver. While in Ft. Lauderdale, he revamped the IGFA. Don is a distinguished and highly motivated man who is keenly interested in Ray's Legacy Lake's Program.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...