jh:

You probably aren't that far from me. I would check with regional biologist. The local guy for my region is Steve Jenkins at (618) 547-3610. Good guy.

Assuming you have no fish in the pond yet...

Last I checked, you can get fish from the state for $25 + $1 per acre (check with Steve listed above). I would be very tempted to just go with bluegill, redear, and bass from them. I think the deadline is August something so you need to check that option fast if you pursue it.

Oh... I would also get some rosey red fathead minnows (maybe 5 pounds?) from Anderson Minnow Farm ASAP. I had very good luck with their minnows.

I think the recommendation is 100 bluegill or redear or combination per acre. I don't remember how many bass. You can get a free booklet at local ASCS office which states how many and has other info.

I would make sure there isn't any way bullhead or green sunfish can get in the pond (vertical drop on spillway so can't come up when overflowing and etc.).

... I read your post again... Your pond isn't that large (stocking not that expensive), has no shallow water and since you really like to feed the fish... Many people enjoy watching channel cats and hybrid striped bass feed. If you will spend the time to feed vs. expecting the pond to be self sustaining, I'd be tempted to skip the largemouth bass, still get fathead minnows, get more redear than bluegill, and then stock hybrid striped bass / channel catfish. You could probably just go the hybrid striped bass and no other fish.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]