Quote:
Originally posted by dave in el dorado ca:
george, here’s my tale.

so george, for better or worse, i am a pedigreed geologist. born and bred by arguably one of the best geologists the world has ever seen. When I told my dad about this his reaction was ..ha…my geology degrees should be stripped from me.

I will admit, I still am skeptical and have a hard time rationalizing the science of it. Is it some form of induction (moving water through a fracture or pipe causes an electrical or magnetic field)??

From my experiences, the best application appears to be bedrock areas where groundwater is controlled by fractures, or trying to detect trends in metallic underground pipes, or plastic pipes conveying water. From what I’ve seen, there has to be some form of moving water or object of metallic composition involved. I think the technique is probably useless down in the valley over thick flat lying sediments.

so anyway fingers crossed, wish me luck,
hope my story didn’t bore you to tears.
Very interesting story – no tears.

Based on the science, I come down on the side of your dad.

With respect for your experience and others, I have to take the subject seriously – I have absolutely no experience with water wells.

I can accept metal pipelines, copper rods and mineralized water properties, but have difficulty with tree branches and sand and clay aquifers.

If the basis for determining rock and fluid properties could be detected by such primitive methods, it is my opinion that it would have much wider acceptance in geological exploration.

From a case history/academic standpoint I would like to see the other site drilled based on your geologic interpretation?

”so anyway fingers crossed, wish me luck,”

AGREED – GOOD LUCK!!