Thanks, guys, for hangin' in there with me on this. I have established a 5' buffer from normal pool through the largest portions of the pond. I don't want structure protruding above this point. This buffer will allow 3 ft lower water levels (plenty safe margin) without fear of hitting submerged hazards with a boat. I'm also trying keep structure stuff localized in zones that I can remember so I can dive off a boat most anywhere without fear. Being able to take a mindless dip off the Liberty ferry is critical to happiness.
What I really need to do is convert my hand-drawn map of the depths into a cyber-map. I'll put that one on "the list".
Sunil, the bottomscaping is pretty good at this, the building site end of the pond basin. The dam end lacks imagination and has most of the depth at 13 - 14'. I keep coming back to my original area of placement near the shore to keep it out of the boating/swimming path. Ewest's thought to move it out a ways is OK with me, but I would have to keep them pretty low because of the boat/swim thing....it is very close to the launch/dock and there will hopefully be plenty of splashing around in this 1/4 ac zone. If the cribs are close to the shore slope, as Theo offered, they would be easy to avoid.
....I'm gettin' real confused.