cliffbrook, I spoke with the rep from ESR today. Unfortunately I had to end the call and didn't have a chance to ask about Iowa specifically. I did ask about insulation, because I know that BSF have been succesfully used in cold weather. They may be marketing an insulation blanket for the Bio-Converter. Actually BSF process more waste in cold temps, you just don't get as many larvae because they develop more slowly. The larvae can survive in cold temps, but they don't survive below freezing.

The Bio-Converter units may be available this summer and the likely price for a 2 foot residential unit will be $130. This size can handle about 10 lbs of household garbage/day. At that rate you could expect 2 - 3 pounds of larvae each day, IIRC. Conservatively speaking this device would pay for itself in highly nutritious fish food after a few months.

When I get more larvae established I'll see what they do with dog poop. I'm totally in love with the idea of converting a pound of poo into 1/4 lb of excellent fish food.