Last fall I mentioned here that we were going to have to sell our place because of declining health. When we moved out here onto 150 acres of mostly mature woods and a 13.5 acre pond at the base of our “mountain” (or what passes as a mountain in Alabama), the wife set the condition that we build her dream house here. I decided then that we would never get our money out of the place, for few people who would pay what the house is worth are willing to live so far out and with trees, the mountain, and the pond for neighbors.

Fortunately, we found just the right fit, and we closed yesterday at a moderate capital gain. I told the new owner today that our plan was to treat the property as if it were always going to be ours until they moved in, a month from now. He found that very agreeable. So, I will continue to feed the bluegill, put in Tilapia in their season, fertilize, and take advantage of the spring fish harvest, culling out all but the very largest bass and keeping enough bluegill to have for breakfast. He is quite agreeable, especially since he has an open invite to fish with me and learn the “hot spots.”

I think that the secret to ethical treatment of a pond that has been sold is to discuss what you want to do with the new owner. That way, you don’t take any chance on taking advantage of the buyer, and you can have guilt-free enjoyment of what you have worked to build up. After all, the point isn’t ever catching out all the biggest ones; it is relaxation and enjoyment.
Lou