I continue to sit in awe as I read the fish threads that you guys produce. The depth of your collective hypotheses and analyzation is fascinating...borderline geeky. 7 months ago, I didn't give a hoot about fish. Today, I can't help but be drawn in and continue to read on. This is the first time, tho, that I have encountered such an interesting set of "mortality challenges" for one species as has been noted WRT HSB (to you guys, this is probably "old hat"). When Bruce sums up:
 Quote:
Another interesting note is that sometimes a HSB will suffer from a cramp after a warm water fight. They will curl up and can't draw oxygen. You can salvage many of these fish if you run them through the water, face first, rapidly back and forth. The air across the gills will allow them to "uncramp". It's a Kreb's Cycle thing, I guess.
...I have to read stuff like this twice and reassure myself that he's not goofin'....the fish neophyte sits here shakin' his head "whodathunk?" I'll be damned if I get caught off guard when the next post describes prescribed execution of the Heimlich maneuver on HSB to expel a deeply embedded hook. ;\)