IIRC, the 1000 lbs./acre was referring to treating the pond more like an aquaculture setting.

If you were running HSB production as an aquaculture business (in TX or anywhere), to me that would mean state of the art aeration (air injection plus maybe horizontal rolling with water injection), well water replenishing to cover evaporative losses (or even for cooling, as Cecil does - possible if your well-to-pond ratio is high enough), periodic pond draining for harvest (with the implied flushing of at least the suspended and dissolved accumulated nutrients and fish by-products - do fish farmers ever scrape pond bottoms or otherwise remove silt to occasionally reduce what must be an awesome bulld-up of organics from all the feeding?), and (most importantly, probably) total reliance on pelleted feed to support those 1000 lbs. of HSB per acre.

I doubt an aquaculture business can afford to turn forage fish into market fish when pelleted food will suffice, so we eliminate the forage fish from the HSB aquaculture pond and hence the 10,000 lbs of biomass they represent. I imagine, while HSB experts like ML will know, that not all HSB will thrive on pellets, although I suspect a very high % would. In an aquaculture setting, the HSB that won't gain weight to market size on pellets would have to be considered culls.

Does that make 1000 lbs. of HSB/acre in Texas sound more realistic? At least in the UNrealistic (from a sport pond viewpoint) aquaculture pond? So if we approach raising HSB from more of an aquaculture perpective, can we talk about approaching 1000 lbs/acre of HSB?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]