Oh boy, Math!

IF it is a perfect circle with a 40 ft diameter, the surface area would be

A=pi * R * R, with R= 1/2 D = 20 ft, which works out to about 1257 sq. ft.

An acre is (this is how I remember it; there is of course a large exact number of sq. ft. but it's easier for me to remember it's almost exactly...) a perfect square 209 ft on a side, or about 43,680 sq. ft.

Therefore IF you have a circular pond, it's area is about 1257/43,680 = 0.029 acre.

Proviso: The farther the pond is from being a perfect circle, the more "off" this estimate will be. For example, if it were a square 40 feet on a side, the area would be D * D = 1600 sq. ft. If it were an ellipse with a major (long) diameter of 40 feet and a minor (short) diameter of 30 feet, IIRC the area would be about pi * R1 * R2 = pi * 20ft * 15 ft = 942 sq. ft.

Many times we base stocking numbers on area alone, assuming depth is sufficient (and your 9 feet max depth sounds good to me), although that is usually with larger ponds; in your case considering the volume may be quite prudent.

Volume will be the area times the AVERAGE depth (less than 9 feet), which you will have to estimate based on how steep the sides drop off to 9 feet from the edges. This will get you the estimated volume in either cubic feet or acre-feet, and from that point someone else will have to help convert to gallons if that is what you want your answer in.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]