No doubt that eyes on info in one who knows what to do is best (that's you Shorty \:D ).

Bruce I have not seen any data on the question of which will produce more yoy -- 10 great conditioned BG or 15 average conditioned BG or 20 fair/poor conditioned BG. Also if you needed to ramp up the #s of yoy BG to create LMB forage and adult BG food supply was a factor then crank up the feeder with high pro. pellets. I have not detected from Shorty's post that adult BG food supply was a limiting factor.

I would still rather put my money on augmenting the missing class with new fish in that class/size as opposed to trying to force more 1 year olds to grow to 3 year old size in one year by removing my bigger breeding adults. I have doubts that removing a lot of large breeders will result in more 3-5in fish given the possible/probable different diel feeding patterns of the 2 sizes. Reducing the # of 6-8in breeders may result in better condition in the remaining fish in that class but who knows if that will result in more overall yoy the next spring or ever result in replacing the missing class. I would point out that when that missing class is to the point where it is its time to be the big breeding adults you will have a gap/shortage which may cause problems of more missing year classes in future generations. Several studies have shown that selectively reducing the # of large breeding BG by fishing may, in northern waters, result in the spawning of the younger less mature BG and lead to slower growth, stunting and reduced genetic quality.

My approach is to deal directly with the matter of a missing/small class by replacing/adding to it rather than hope that fewer better conditioned adults can jump through hoops to replace a missing class 2 years past. Plus I get to select the new fish source and genetics (send me some 3-5in Condello BG) to add to the class \:\)

Frank no removal of BG can result in BG stunting which can lead to no LMB recruitment and not enough of the right size forage for bigger LMB.

Great discussion . Has Has anyone seen any info on or have thoughts about this matter?