Like most toys, there are lasers...and then there are Lasers. And, like most toys, it comes down to budget and job. I suspect that there a few dirt guys lurking that are very familiar with the more expensive models. These would be the 360 degree units that you can set at one point on a tri-pod and they emit a high speed rotational beam that will carry up to 2000 ft. A vertical measuring rod with a laser detector/beeper is then carried to any point within the beam scope. Northern Tool is a good place to start research Northern Tool Laser Levels
I bought a Robo Laser about 3 years ago (about $200 then), not knowing that I would be using it for a pond project, something much larger than it was meant to be used for. It is an accurate laser beam unit that shoots one stable, straight beam. The beam unit rotates 360 degrees, but only when I prompt it with a remote control that I carry. I set at my starting point, shoot about 150'(the beam disperses considerably at about 200 ft, so I keep my shots at about 150' max), make a mark on a tree with a 16d nail when I find the "dot", then move the unit another 150 ft past the mark, shoot back, measure the diff, calculate and shoot forward another 150 feet. Good note: You can buy a very nice, well made tri-pod at Menards for $55...bargain. If I had my $200 back, I would probably kick in the extra dough and buy a fully rotational/professional unit. I will admit, tho, that using my rinky-dink unit, I shot all the way around a 6 ac opening using the "16d nail in a tree" method and only lost 1" elevation diff when I got back to the beginning.