Bill, I ordered the initial stocking from the Georgia Department of Natural resources, Wildlife Resources Division, Fisheries section out of Thomson, Ga.

Used to be we got our fish for stocking for free. Now they charge.

A bream and catfish combination was recommended for ponds 1 acre or larger. This is said to provide bream (80% bluegill and 20% redear sunfish) at the rates of 500 per acre, and bass and channel cats at rates of 50 per acre. The cost was $50.00 per acre of pond.

Should I decide to do a bass pond only, it's same stocking rate and only $20.00 per acre.

I guess I need to do more research on Fla Hybrids, grass carp, other varieties etc: and look for suppliers of those. I am open to what and how you guys suggest my stocking this new pond.

If you haven't already applied for your fall stocking you should do so ASAP. I understand they have cut off dates for filling fall orders.

Here I am with fish already ordered and approved for fall stocking and not a drop of water yet :rolleyes:

I gotta get things on the ball! I also just got off the voice mail of Nick Bagget with the Corps who handles the aera where my lake is to be built (Hancock Cty. Sparta Ga). I see what you mean about having trouble getting permit approval. Hopefully he'll return my call ASAP!

Bill here is a number, if it's not for your aera I am sure they can send you in the right direction. You may be serviced out of Gainesville Ga. 706-595-1619. I had them fax me the fish application, and I just returned the filled out form right back to them PRONTO!

early riser

private property owner, wildlife manager.