Fozzy

Similar situation here. A skim coat of ice formed on the ponds then we received about 3" of snow. Temps moderated a bit (enough to mix the mess) and then the temps dropped. Facing 2" of snow ice, I started breaking the ice out along the edges the other day. Todays storm is predicted to pile on 6-10". Ice is not safe enough for me to venture out with the snowblower so once it passes, I'll probably go back to breaking some holes along the edge.

Not sure how this is going to affect the skating. \:\( A few years ago, we were faced with the same problem you have and tried the pump idea. Pond was 60' wide x 125' long. We had a small pump. The main problem we had was water runoff. The ice had a crown causing the water to flow to the sides of the pond. Like the scene in Apollo 13, where the guy throws all the parts on the table and says this is what we have to make a CO2 filter, we chased futility until we got honorable mention in the Darwin awards then pulled the plug on daylight and laughed off our funniest failure. Final joy for us was that warm spring day when the final chunk of stubborness melted into obscurity. RIP!

Not wanting to give in to failure, I think the only way we would attempt that again would be with a bigger pump, like a 2" trash pump.