Hey everyone, new to the site and trying to process all of the information. We are building on some land that we own and looking to create a 3/4-1 acre pond for the purpose of looks (Mrs. Tigerfanatic1 aka The Boss) and fishing with the kids and family members. We have a lot of various projects ongoing such as clearing off some of the property and building, with future projects of having a pond build and possibly filling in a pond on adjoining pasture land.

Several people in our area have ponds dug out by local contractors and I'm not aware of any that don't hold water, so I'm thinking of doing the same in 2 phases. I'm debating digging out a smaller but deep area at a steep grade, then coming back in a year or so to make the grade more gradual while increasing the surface area to the 3/4-1 acre size. This would allow me to use the dirt now to finish around the home and build up low spots in the yard. When I come back in a year or so, I'd use the remaining dirt to have a 1/4 mile driveway from the highway.

My sole purpose for fishing is to enjoy with family and have been debating on bluegill, red ears, or crappie. My favorite fish is crappie, but everything I read says not to stock with them. Is there a concern with not being able to remove enough of them or crappie eating other species?