Originally Posted by Augie
I literally watched as the line to my aeration diffuser froze up Sunday morning.

Part of my morning routine is to open the chicken house, feed the birds and check their water, then check
the horse water. The pump house sets very close to the chicken house so I'm able to clearly hear the pump
running, and I know what it sounds like when it's running right, but it didn't sound like that. Opened the
pump house to check the line pressure - 30psi gauge - normally runs 11psi - needle was pegged. Walked
out to the pond and could tell the output wasn't anywhere close to what it should be. Walked to the shop,
grabbed a quart of 91% isopropyl and a wrench, went back to the pump house, shut off the pump, opened
the line, added the alcohol, closed the line, restarted pump. Less than 5 minutes later there was zero output
from the diffuser and the pump sounded like it was about to explode so I shut it down.

These past few days have been the coldest weather we've had since February of '21 so it's not a big
surprise that the line froze. I'm just glad I caught it before the pump expired.

It will thaw eventually, probably later this week when we're supposed to see temps get into the 40s.
With any good luck this will be the last winter I have an overland airline so hopefully will also be the last freeze-up.

Augie:

What diameter is the line, and do you have a over-pressure pop off valve on the aeration system?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).