One grandson was raised hunting, fishing and 4wheelering there. I’m hanging on and don’t financially need to sell it. Wife will inherit and that grandsons mom, my daughter, has been successful enough to buy the place out of pocket change. About a million bucks. Texas rural, recreational property, close to Dallas/Fort Worth, has gone crazy expensive. I certainly could not afford to buy it today. She can so wife will give her a break and still be able to live well after I’m gone. I paid $56,000 for the place about 40 years ago. It’s 133 acres of trees and rocks.

Taxes are comparatively low due to exemptions. We can either raise live stock or support wildlife. When the wildlife exemption was enacted, I sold cows and horses. Now, I feed and promote the well being of wildlife year around. Of course, wildlife need water to drink so I have ponds. Yeah, we hunt.

I furnish food blocks and native grasses year around. I have three big blackberry patches that were started years ago by a bird excreting a seed. They keep expanding by dropping the fruit. And water for wildlife in 3 ponds. I have to do an annual report to the County or couldn’t afford the taxes with no income from the place. Blackberry patches, ponds and winter wheat patches to feed wildlife are also exemption items for wildlife. This year, the drought kept me from planting wheat.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 01/22/24 04:44 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP