Originally Posted by Retired on 40
What I would like to do is stock SMB and Pumpkin seeds. Neither of which is stocked at hatcheries anywhere near me.

I looked at Smith Creek and they have 1-2" Pumpkinseed this week. I bought a few. I don't know how much you trust them, there were minnows in with the Pumpkinseed but they say they didn't count them. They are in your neck of the woods but only open on Sat 9-2. I have no idea where to get NY qualified SMB except if Zetts has them.

I bought loads of FHM and Crayfish there this spring and was hoping for those Pumpkin Seed in June. I shot out there this past weekend on bought 30 PS, and another load of FHM to take the pressure off the new PS, so thanks for the heads up! Also picked up a spectacular koi for the garden pond. I didn't need it, but I would have been pissed at myself if I had not brought it home.

The hope was this spring, by adding some FHM, it would boost the pond a little with some live food since the only ones eating the feed are the YP. It didn't make any noticeable difference.
The one thing the hybrid koi/goldfish have done is clouded the water in their quest for food, giving these new little fish a fighting chance with the lower visibility. Usually in fall the water is so clear you can easily see 10ft down. Right now, it is maybe 10 inches. Part of the problem I have been having with recruitment is the predators can see prey a mile away in those conditions and there is not enough cover for survival.

I am going to give the stocking a rest and let the PS settle in, and then perhaps next fall put in some bass. I probably purchase a few size classes to get closer to ladder-stocking so they are not all fighting for the same food source.

Sure, it will become a mess in there for management, but my original goal was to never have a prize fishery, but a good recreation spot for swimming and casual fishing.