Originally Posted by FishinRod
Originally Posted by esshup
These tree tubes are great. Use the black plastic and keep weed growth away from the trees for the first few years. Cut the plastic away from inside the tube to let any condensation run down and water the tree. 60" & 72" really help protect the trees from the deer.

https://www.treepro.com/products/miracle-tube-tree-grow-tube?variant=42512560423061

I use the biggest diameter I can get, usually the 4 3/4" size. The optimal free netting for the top keeps birds from nesting inside.

I have used the same tree tubes as esshup and have also liked the results.

I did NOT put on the netting, but have never found a dead bird after lifting the tube for pruning and weeding. However, I have had several tubes with wasps and wasp nests inside. I then put on the netting, but the wasps just kept using the vent holes.

P.S. I have twice found a black widow spider on my trees inside the tubes. My property in Kansas is NOT within the mapped geographic range of the southern black widow or the northern black widow. The saplings that sheltered a black widow were from different nurseries. I suspect I am actually in the range of the southern black widow. If they are common in your area, maybe keep an eye out while tending to your saplings within a tree tube.
I find black widows and scorpions on a regular basis. The youngest got stung on the lip while in bed. Creepy crawlies!