Cecil it is good to look with a skeptical eye. \:\) That is from 2 of several studies on the subject and they note many variables especially wrt ponds (such as natural food). I posted it because Bruce and or you ask about temp effects on growth rate. It covers that subject well. Even that I think would be subject to local genetic conditioning/variation. Looks like those samples were repeated and some were 12. Let me check the study on that point. I do think the growth rate at temp #s are right. It was not posted for the # of times and amounts of feed. That is better covered in the studies on compensatory feeding.

Bing I have several studies on the subject you refer to. Not sure they are the exact same one. They are similar accross the board and state large male BG supress small male BG wrt spawning thus allowing the small ones to convert that energy to growth not early reproductive activity. Is this the one you were talking about?

North American Journal of Fisheries Management 1997;17:516–524

Effect of Population Size Structure on Reproductive Investment of Male Bluegill
MARTIN J. JENNINGS, JULIE E. CLAUSSEN, and DAVID P. PHILIPP

Illionis Natural History Survey, Center for Aquatic Ecology, 607 East Peabody Drive, Champaign, Illinois 61820, USA

Abstract.—Although a goal of fisheries management is to understand factors affecting the growth rate and size structure of exploited populations, the relation between growth rates and variation in reproductive behaviors in Lepomis species has received little attention. Allocation of energy to reproductive functions (e.g., gonadal maturation, gamete production, nesting and spawning activities, and brood defense) negatively affects growth rate and, ultimately, maximum body size. To assess how social factors influence energy allocation, we manipulated population size structure of male bluegills L. macrochirus in experimental ponds and evaluated individual reproductive behavior and testes development. We predicted that smaller parental males would invest less in reproduction in the presence of larger parental males than they would in their absence. Observations were consistent with this prediction; smaller parental males had smaller testes and nested less frequently in the presence of larger males than in their absence. Furthermore, when males of both size-groups occupied nests, larger males were more successful. Size-selective angling that removes larger males may, therefore, negatively affect the size structure of Lepomis populations by creating conditions under which smaller, and often younger fish, mature sexually and reproduce. Under those conditions, growth rates would slow at younger ages, and the maximum size attained by these fish would be reduced.