About six or seven years ago, perhaps around 1999, there was an excellent article on this "big bluegill keep little bluegill from maturing" issue in the State of Illinois conservation magazine. I have never subscribed to the magazine, don't even know it's name. Someone faxed me the article. The article seemed to have some very good research in it and I recall it was by a fishery biologist at the U Of I. If anyone has a way of checking that out it might be worthwhile. As I recall, the premise was that the smaller males were "impressed" at the larger ones selection of location, etc. and decided to hold off maturing until they got bigger. At the time I just laughed it off, but the more I read the more I believe larger ones keep the smaller ones from spawning. However I still have trouble believing it out of envy over the bigger fishes love nest. I remember making a copy of the story and sending it to Lusk, but that was many years ago.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,