Originally Posted by Dave Davidson1
What I did yesterday when the high temp was down to a pleasant 98 for a high.

Wife and I drove there and got on 4 wheelers. Rode by big pond and it is down a lot due to our heat wave, probably gone down 3 ft in the last 10 days. That makes it about 6+ ft low. Cedars that I cut and put, with weights, into the water on the banks were high and dry.

Went to the back of the property to our green sunfish pond. On the way I noticed that the spring fed creek was out of business. That’s the second time it’s happened in approx 40 years. The 1/4 acre pond was down about 4 ft. We tossed out some fish food to the green sunfish. I expect a fish kill here.

Went by another couple of small shallow ponds that were dry. I don’t stock them.

The drought hasn’t ended and 100+ temps are coming back with a vengeance. Supposed to be 108+ this coming week.

I have heard that every drought is broken by a flood. It needs to get here in a hurry.

That's kinda what happened here, went from drought to flood, after a yr of way below average rainfall we have come up with the second wettest Aug on record, within an inch or two of back to normal rainfall for the yr this far, all of it in August.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not complanin, but it would have been way better served if it was spread out over the last 8 months. but beggars cant be choosers. we havent had a lot of extremely hot weather, a couple weeks that were pretty muggy.

Its too late for most of the corn, its going to be pretty mediocre, the rains came too late for it but most of the beans are looking amazing! I think I have counted upwards of 11 inches in the last three weeks. the ponds for the most part are full and mine has been running over since the first rain.

Wish I could spread it around for everybody, we musta been living right! the grass is greener and growing faster then it did last spring.

I cleared some trees for a couple more food plots a month ago and been wanting to get some fall food plots planted but its been too wet, may be able to get them in this weekend.

Last edited by gehajake; 08/17/23 06:06 PM.

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.