Yes, you are correct with your assumption, and I like the idea of testing with heavy rain (not sure that's going to happen anytime soon) or filling with well water. Also concerned if I do try and maintain the water line with our well water if it might dry up if that's a possibility. I've had a company give me a rough quote to redig, get liner and install for around $17,500. So, I'm trying to figure everything out before pulling that trigger cause I don't want to redo anything after. I do like the idea of trenching around the whole pond as well for more filtration to help with swimming. especially b/c they would have to do that to hold the liner in place. Maybe adding rock or something instead of dirt. But then I need to think about pumps and the filtering. Adding PVC down on top of liner to pull water through to filter. If so, wondering how big of an area that would take up and what kind of system I could make with a DIY hillbilly system. I really want to get things better pictured in my head and to see if it will work when spending this type of money. I can send some pics later. Thanks for the help!