Hello - I am new here. I posted this as a different thread, but it seems like I should have asked it here instead.

I recently purchased a home in Vermont with a large pond. There is a 300 ft earthen dam with a 5ft wide corrugated metal vertical drain that runs into 4 ft wide horizontal drain. The metal pipes are in disrepair. They are rusted and full of holes. In addition, the LLO is inoperable.

The total pond area covers about 8 acres. The average depth is probably 4-6 feet. The deepest point is probably about 10 ft.
There is a secondary spillway that allows water to flow around the dam in case of an emergency, so I don't see the water overtopping the dam.

Is there any way to repair the spillway pipes without actually replacing them? I am told digging out the pipes and putting in new ones would be extremely expensive. But I have also heard that liners or PVC can be used as an insert to repair.

In addition, I am also wondering how to fix the LLO, since that prevents lowering the pond depth in case of an impending storm.

The state is also asking me to get soil testing & water inundation testing done. I would really appreciate any advice or contacts for inexpensive service providers.

Please help. All comments are welcome.

Last edited by PatMcM; 05/22/23 02:50 PM.