I'm not an expert on aeration but there are many threads where the basics are laid out. Using google search you may come up with several pondboss threads that help. The bottom line is you want to turn over (lift and move to the surface) roughly the entire water mass every 24 hours or so.

Most aeration companies will have specs on their pumps for lift or gallons per hour lift. You calculate how many gallons are in your pond by estimating a term called acre feet (google) To estimate acre feet you also need to know a bit about what the slope of your bottom is so you can guesstimate how much water is in your pond. A lot depends on surface area and then how gradual you go to depth and then how much of the depth is at the deep part.

I have a pond that probably is about half of yours. I"m about 0.25 acres at maximum fill and most of the time sits at about 0.22 acres surface area. My max depth is about 8' and my banks are typical about 2.5 to 3' run to every 1 foot drop in depth.

I chose the Vertex 1/4hp pump with a 2 membrane diffuser choosing a package that included the cabinet and weighted hose. I paid more for the package but also got help with sizing from their sales team and also help for years after the sale. I had to rebuild my vertex pump once due to known factory issues with the teflon wear parts. The rebuild kit was inexpensive and the new parts are improved with much longer expected life expectancy. I"m in MI and most northern pond owners only need to run their pump from say mid May to early Sept as we have plenty of cool air temps and wind action to aerate our pond without need for supplemental aeration. I don't put that many hours on and my cabinet stays cool and the filters really stay pretty clean from year to year.

If you get us an idea of gallons of water we can help size it. Since I have one base station, one output weighted hose and 2 diffuser heads my setup is fairly simple. It turns over the water at least once in 24 hours which is the right sizing for me. Once you know your water volume and layout of the pond you can decide if you want 2 separate base stations (some want one near a deep zone and one in a shallow zone to avoid having to move the deep one to shallow in the winter) Winter aeration is only needed if you feel conditions are right for winterkill. I never aerate in winter and have never had a recognized winter kill.

Last edited by canyoncreek; 05/01/23 12:10 PM.