Originally Posted by ewest
Originally Posted by anthropic
Dean, for some reason I have the impression that F1 bass are more aggressive & grow faster initially than pure Florida bass, but that their ultimate max size may not be as big. However, the current world record LMB was an intergrade, so what do I know?

F-1 LMB are more aggressive than pure Fla LMB but they do not grow faster than Fla LMB (possibly except for the first few mths). In a natural enviorn aggressiveness can be both a positive or a negative trait. Some studies show over aggressiveness can result in the recipient being eaten by larger fish. Over time I am not sure there is a difference in size actuality of Fla LMB and F-1 or Fx. The studies I have seen show that a small % of Northern genes greatly reduces the negative trait of non-catchability. I have seen no info on the breakdown of LMB genetics and ultimate growth (size) potential.

I have to always caution that this applies to 50% of the LMB population. Male Fla LMB are much smaller in comparison to their female counterparts than is the case for northern LMB. F-1 and Fx - I don't know if that holds true.

Thanks for the info! I've the notion, perhaps totally mistaken, that Northern LMB have to be more aggressive considering their relative lack of forage and short growing season. Also, there may be fewer predators capable of eating them up north. Why the difference in sexual dimorphism is a puzzle.