Originally Posted by woodster
If your going to try solar here is what I have built 3 of. 2 or 300 watts of solar panels 12 volt output, 2 cheap lead acid deep cycle 12 volt batteries, or better yet AGM batteries. A cheap charge controller, and a cheap 120 VAC inverter for a car accessory plug. Buy a simple sewer system diaphragm pump to plug into the inverter. I have 3 running year round in Wisconsin. You can buy everything off Amazon. This is by far the cheapest system for aeration. The pump I use only draws about 17 watts so a cheap 150 watt inverter works fine. Note that I aerate in the shallow water as the pump will only work to about 5 feet deep. You can buy a larger pump and go deeper but it will draw down the batteries sooner. My set up runs 24-7 unless i get several days without sun. The controller will shut of the inverter if your batteries get low, then restart once you get a charge again. If you want to build one I can send pictures. PS any system to mechanically circulate water will get clogged or burn out. This is why compressed air is best.

woodster, I think you left out what size self sinking hose you used, and what you used for diffusers. Personally I don't like the diaphragm pumps because of the frequency of the rebuilds needed to keep them running.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).