Originally Posted by catscratch
Originally Posted by Sunil
Originally Posted by catscratch
Does having crappie in the pond affect his bass management plan?

In the short term, I'm not sure how many 'issues' you can address at one time considering what resources one has in time and money.

If they are already culling a lot of crappie, that's something I'd continue to do.

Culling more bass, like 350 or so, and adding a feeding program should have clear results.

How big of a feeding program would it take for that large of a pond? 12 acres is quite a bit. To increase BG over the whole pond I'm guessing several feeders is needed, or will just having feed in one spot be enough? I've never put too much thought into feeding so I'm kind of new to the ideas of making it work.

Of course, the more the merrier, so to speak, but just start with one feeder, or hand feed if you're able. A simple way to look at a feed program is for every pound of feed consumed, the fish population puts on 1/2 pound, or so. So if you feed (3) 50 lb. bags a season, your putting on 75 lbs of weight on various fish species.

Soaking the feed in water for about 10 minutes before throwing it out will help more fish get on the feed, but soaking feed prior to putting it in the pond is not possible with the standard feeders out there, I think.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."