tdjake,

Congratulations on your "new and improved" big pond!

There are lots of aeration experts (not me) on Pond Boss that can help out on your project. However, until they arrive, this is my non-expert advice.

Yes, I believe your shallow water "berm" between the two ponds will significantly restrict the water circulation between the two main bodies of water. Your aeration design should therefore probably treat your situation as essentially two separate ponds.

That being said, you should still probably have just one aeration pump. Air discharge lines are cheaper than electrical lines. One large air compressor and protection box or shed is cheaper than two small compressors.

Finally, no you do not need to circulate from the bottom of your 25' hole. That deep water will probably be most valuable as a thermal refuge during a hot Texas summer. The fish won't use the deep anoxic water, but having it there will keep your pond slightly cooler. (They may hang out near the boundary layer if they start to get some heat stress.)

The experts may recommend you circulate up from 12-14' depths? But don't take my advice - wait for an actual expert to drop in.

There are some excellent aeration threads in the archives. If you read a few of those, it may give you some ideas of a few more questions to ask that you need answered for your situation.

Good luck on turning your "new" pond into a good fishery and recreation spot!