That wasn't meant to be political, just that we have had very strange winters lately with long stretches of open water, unusual warm and cold cycles, more rain than snow, no ice skating opportunities, greenish grass most of the winter with little dormancy and soil that barely froze in the top inch.

What that lack of typical frost and ice does to insects, or fungus, or crabgrass in my yard, or pests in my garden soil etc remains to be seen.

I read an interesting article that the maple sap run is WAY off this year due to 'global warming' and that soon maple syrup production will all have to shift north. The geographic areas that enjoy maple syrup production even extended down into Virginia traditionally but now the epicenter will probably move up north of the border into northern Canada. Even the epic production centers on the east coast may see their seasons drop off. Producers are having to jump in and tap trees a few weeks early to catch the early run.

We did catch the early run here and had a good run for a few weeks, then had cold, wind, ice storms, rain, then two weeks of bluster and occasional night time snow. We haven't warmed up enough in the day to start collecting again although today the buckets had a little in it. I figure we will probably boil this weekend and wrap it up after a strange year.

How did others do on their maple syrup season?

Climate Changing Maple Syrup Industry

It is odd if the season is warmer and spring comes EARLIER that no one has had eggs yet...

Last edited by canyoncreek; 03/15/23 04:40 PM.