I question if the guys on the fish truck are selling real specklebelly hybrids (SBS). My guess is the fish wagon is just selling a HBG and calling them specklebellies. WHAT IS STOPING THEM FROM DOING THIS??
One thing you should do is ask to FIRST see a copy of the possession paperwork for the SBS. For fish farms to buy SBS from Malones, they have to sign a couple pages of paperwork from Malone due to some sort of propriety non-disclosure agreement. Jones buys their SBS from Malone. Another thing to check is to look up the website of the owner of the 'fishwagon'. See what fish species that they ACTUALLY raise or produce at the farm. Most small fish farm places buy all their fish for resale rather than actually growing and spawning them in-house.

If I wanted pure SBS that were not contaminated with BG, RES nor HBG, I sure would not buy them from a traveling fish wagon. What recourse do you have from a traveling, long gone, fish wagon if the small fish you buy are contaminated with other types of sunfish??? Contamination of stocker fish can really mess up well planned goals for a long term fishery. IMO 2"-4" SBS do not look all that different from a regular BGXRES or some BGXGSF hybrids that I have seen, especially ones that have strongly faded body colors and hue due to transport and truck hauling conditions.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/25/23 08:08 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management