Originally Posted by Bill Cody
The lab tech made an error (hand written) on the data bench sheet. They wrote .98 and they should not have used the decimal. Your alkalinity is at least 98.0 due to the bicarbonate test reading. Basically bicarbonate and carbonate = Alkalinity. When lime dissolves is water it creates ions of bicarbonate, calcium, and magnesium (ions hardness below). Thus your bicarbonate reading was 98 and carbonate was 0 so 98+0= 98. The bicarbonate at times can combine with calcium and magnesium ions to form precipitates that lowers alkalinity (bicarbonate). The total hardness is also high at 92 which is 'often' closely related to alkalinity and usually indicates "good" alkalinity.

Total Hardness note: Total hardness is a measure of the calcium and magnesium concentrations in water. There are some other divalent ions (those with 2+ charges) that cause total hardness but these are "usually" low amounts. The amount of calcium hardness is important in pond fertilization because higher rates of phosphorus fertilizer are required at higher calcium hardness amounts.

If you have added lime to the pond, you should retest your bicarbonate every 2-3 yrs and depending on amount of lime that is usually needed raise the alkalinity,,,,, testing could be done each year to monitor how fast the alkalinity is decreasing.
For various reasons alkalinity is lost from the pond:
1. The acidic bottom soil will consume bicarbonate and that gradually lowers alkalinity.
2. Pond overflows or outflows reduce bicarbonate (alkalinity) due to loss of water (outflows).
3. Low alkalinity water of the inflows from water shed soil also dilutes alkalinity.
4. Rain has almost no alkalinity thus rain dilutes or lowers alkalinity.
5. Ammonia denitrification into nitrate can also reduce alkalinity.
6. Decomposition of bottom organics creates acidic conditions that tends to lower alkalinity.

In areas that have limestone based soils the ponds naturally have high alkalinity due to runoff and the high lime contained in the soil basin forming the pond. The majority of ponds in my region use a thick layer of limestone to line the entire top 6ft of pond basin (wave zone and protect soil stabilization - erosion) . This helps keep alkalinity high in these ponds.

See explanations in this link to help you understand water chem reports
https://fisheries.tamu.edu/files/2013/09/Understanding-Your-Fish-Pond-Water-Analysis-Report.pdf
Bill Cody, sorry I forgot to mention the last two values that were on this chart were silica and Alkalinity and the printer cut them off of the bottom of the chart so I just hand wrote them myself to the right of the chart. I should have clarified that, but it was 98 on Alkalinity, not .98, I read it wrong, you are right. Im not sure how I misread that. I printed off that article that you referenced and will study it a little more when I have the time. Thank you guys for clarifying that for me! really appreciate it!

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.