I recently had a pond built in Southwest Mississippi, near Tylertown. The pond was dug by a local contractor using a bulldozer. Completely full the pond should be about 3/4 of an acre and water should be about 6-7 feet deep in at deepest spots. The pond was dug in May of last year (2022) and never filled up over summer due to dry conditions. In fact becoming 100% dry in October. Now we have finally got some good rain storms and cooler weather and pond is maybe 1 - 1 1/2 feet at deepest location, but never gets and deeper, even with a 1 inch rain. I am pretty certain that I am not getting enough runoff to support filling pond. I was thinking of drilling a well to fill pond, but don’t want to waste money if pond will not hold water. One more piece of info. When digging pond contractor scraped off topsoil and got down to “red” clay. He did not use a compactor, only bulldozer to compact soil. You guys are so smart and have seen it all. Do you think soul will eventually compact after enough water is on soil to hold water? And do you guys think a well is the best option to fill it?

Attached Images
F68A4697-830E-4058-90EE-C805BAF61A23.png 8C56A9BE-FB0E-425B-B42F-EBE83BBD0020.png BD1CD20F-1B72-4F75-9E13-1ECFE971C7F7.png