BCR Pond, search on google using Pondboss and spotfin shiners as search terms There are several good threads about SFS in this forum.

I think they would provide some distinct advantages to GSH in most cases. They do not have some of the downsides and have some additional survival advantages.

I'm not sure if they are found in North Carolina. But there probably are other native shiners of different species in your area that would add diversity and survival advantage.

Once I came across a webpage where you could search by species and then there were pictures of folks who found this species in their area and posted pictures. It was a map of the US searchable by species and location. It was quite helpful but I can't find the link anymore. LIke a 'fish database' but it was hosted by a outdoor society or nature/biology enthusiast page.

IF found in you area, you often can use artificial spawning devices (read about these, they have specific design requirements) and soak them in rivers, streams or backwater that might natively have SFS already and then when eggs are laid on the spawning device transfer into your pond. In your state they probably are laying eggs a month earlier than in SW Michigan.

In the upper midwest many streams have them and you can seine for them. They have very distinct coloring in May and June as they get into spawning colors.