Originally Posted by Tom Ryan
Alright after calculating the cost to use Alum to floc the turbidity in our 11-acre pond, if I did the math correctly approx. $1000 per acre and does not include the lime and labor, this is not in our budget.
So I feel the need to ask this question can we apply loose Alum or gypsum in front of the 10 concrete storm drains (2-foot diameter) just before a rain? Will this help to settle the turbidity over a period of 1-2 years?
Or just leave it alone it does clear itself up every spring and stays until the water flips again then ugly for 6 months again.
Tom Ryan

If you do that I think you'd be throwing your $$ away. Alum will drop the pH, you have to use 50% hydrated lime to buffer it and you can't put it all in one place in the pond, it has to be spread out over the surface. Work on getting 60+% of the TGC out of the pond and save your $$ for the next couple of years to build up a fund to do the alum treatment correctly.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).