Originally Posted by esshup
Originally Posted by Rainman
Originally Posted by esshup
Rex, I can tell you for sure that Keo HSB will grow eggs and milt. Now even if they were to spawn in the pond, the eggs won't hatch. BUT not to being not fertilized, I don't think there is enough O2 in the water column to keep the eggs alive long enough to hatch. I know of only one pond that has HSB reproducing in it, and that is on a limited basis. Steve pond who owns Stubby Steves.

I think the OP will have a hard time growing enough YP to the size he wants to harvest the 150-200 pounds of YP without artificially feeding. I will bet that the YP will extirpate the Fathead Minnows from the pond by year 2.

If it was my pond and had the same goals, I'd stock the YP, FHM, RES, GSH and 15 WE. Then year 2 or 3, stock 25-50 HSB and use a Texas Hunter throwing Optimal Bluegill for the first year, then switch to a 50/50 mils of Optimal BG and Optimal Bass food. The offspring of the GSH will feed the YP and some of the RES, and the HSB will control any of the adult GSH that start to get overpopulated. You want to have a forage fish in the pond of a size that the brooders can for the most part escape predation. For instance, without a heavy dense weed growth in the pond, LMB can wipe GSH out of a pond, no matter what size they are.

I disagree on LMB being able to wipe out established Golden Shiners (that have spawning habitat). Golden Shiners are pelagic, and LMB are not. LMB won't/can't eat what they almost never see swimming by. I know the HSB from Keo are supposed to be sterile, yet will become gravid and create milt, but as far as I know, and according to Mike, the eggs are not viable. As to YP with LMB, the LMB are more likely to wipe out the YP, and that was why I stocked Smallmouth in Setterguy's pond, and YP are still thriving after about 8 years now, and as I stated, he does feed high quality pelleted feed in his one acre pond. I'd guess he pulls out 50-75 pounds of YP per year, but 150-200 pounds would simply be unrealistic

Rex, tell that to the LMB in my pond. I stocked 200 8"-11" Golden Shiners and they didn't last a year. At the time they were stocked, I had habitat for the Shiners to spawn on, and I had no HSB in my pond.

I am not surprised they did not last...That was why I said an established Shiner population. It is next to impossible to get Shiners to last in a pond with established bass. You won't find bass wiping out Shiners when shiners were established and reproducing before bass are added...A huge difference between adding a couple hundred shiners that do not know their habitat, and already having 1000's of reproducing adults of all sizes that know their habitat