[Linked Image]Part 4
I confess that I only have a fraction of the optimum level of habitat but will start with that. There are 3 areas around the sides with a ledge at 3-4’ and about a 2’ drop off. In addition there is a large underwater island in the middle with steep sides. A couple of these areas have 7’+ deep regions or holes adjacent. All the ledges have 12x12 areas with smooth gravel on geo-textile for spawning, wired down logs, and small rock piles, as potential SMB and PS spawning areas [Linked Image] (W Side Spawning Bed shown). Next to the spawning areas we put 4” of topsoil for water lilies (we have about 75 Nymphaea odorata Aiton in a small pond waiting to be transplanted should we get enough water, see picture).

The West arm of the pond has the most structure mostly on a ledge at 3-4 feet of water and a drop off to 6’ (see Structure W Side & Island). There are a few areas with logs, one pile of 6-8” ash, hickory, and cottonwood logs, wired down, a pile of 1-2” choke cherries with roots, plus another small pile of brush [Linked Image](Drop-off & Structure W Side shown at top). I don’t know if tannins will be an issue but doubt it with the limited amount. I also added 2 piles of concrete chunks and a section of pipe at about 6’ of water. The submerged island will be in about 3’ of water and it too has rock piles, spawning bed, wired down logs, and topsoil for water lilies.

The SE arm of the pond has the dock and swimming area, but it also has a point, lots of drop offs, a number of rock piles, and will have the most aquatic plants. We put rock piles, logs and a spawning bed near the SE ledge [Linked Image]. Our intention is to add eel grass and emergents at the inlets, which should help with YP and GSH spawn. We added a couple tons of sand on the point near a rock pile [Linked Image]; there are 3 rock piles at the point at various levels. We have in total about a dozen rock piles of various sizes made from excavated stones, but little turned up over about 20” in diameter and those ended up on the beach. Good thing is that we have shale and lots of flat stones in the rock piles for FHM spawn.

Finally, with 3 peninsulas and 2 inlets, our little pond has over 1300 feet of shoreline which also adds to habitat. I bought a 7’ sickle-bar mower to keep down unwanted weeds and I only have 4 more feet of water to go before we see how the whole thing works.

Attached Images
Orodata.png Structure W Side & Island.png SE Structure and Spawning Bed.png
Last edited by Retired on 40; 12/30/22 11:23 AM.