I have 2 hog traps but haven’t set them in quite awhile.

I am, like most rural Texas land owners, loaded with pigs. A couple of years ago my Grandson and his buddy trapped about 20 in 1 night. Most were small but they butchered all of them. A couple of days later my Grandson started running a high fever and was hospitalized. No idea what caused it but the docs expected it was a a tick bite that they couldn’t find. Hogs are loaded with ticks. We almost lost him. He is 23 yoa, 6’5”; a big healthy man.

I’ve heard of this happening to others.

Most around my place aren’t all that wild. Wife and I were tossing fish food at a 1/4+ Acre pond at the back of my place. A bunch of hogs showed up and started swimming around. She got spooked and got on the 4 wheeler and left. I followed her and the hogs followed both of us. I’ve ridden up within 6 feet from them without them spooking. I have phone pics of that. Texas Parks and Wildlife has all but conceded the battle to the hogs. They breed quicker than they can be controlled. I don’t use any wild animal for target practice but the pigs are changing my mind.

Twenty years ago we didn’t have them. In another 20 or 30 an awful lot of you guys above the Mason Dixon Line will be enjoying their company and wonder where they came from. When that happens, keep a can of OFF bug spray handy. You’ll want more than one can.

I was warned by a lawyer not to let anyone on my place to hunt, fish, etc. if they got a tick bite, gotten sick or worse, I might be sued. Especially since I understand the potential problem.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP