Originally Posted by CrazyCarl
Originally Posted by gehajake
Hunting coyotes at night has become a big thing around here, they have made it legal to hunt them with lights at night, and its a blast, some use night vision scopes but even without, on a bright moonlit night with snow on the ground and a coyote call they will come in close a lot easier then they will in daylight.
They even have a competition up in northwest MO, similar to a bass tournament, everybody meets up at a predetermined location and takes off at a designated time and reports back at a predetermined time and place the next morning, with a monetary prize for the most and the biggest coyote.
I have a friend that is set up with night vision binoculars and scopes and even has a gopro camera mounted on his gun, its crazy how fast they come barreling in to a predator call.
I am definitely going to try it this winter on my place, I dont have many and they are not hurting my deer populations but I do see them on the cameras pretty regular.
I have been successful in trapping a bunch of coons, and my turkey recruitment shows that it is helping.

I'd love to at least dabble in something like that. I have a small collection of federal tax stamps, so I've got the gun & a muffler, but have no NV or thermal toys.

A friend showed me a NV scope he'd bought. Forget which, but I'm thinking he said it was around $3500 & it was incredible. Light years better than the PVS-14s I used for years in the Army & makes the PVS-2 Starlights we used to mount on either our M60s or M2s look absolutely primitive. Made me wonder how on earth I was ever able to drive at night in blackout mode with the -14s. I'd love one for myself, but holy smokes. My wife's a tolerant woman, with the patience of a saint, but that might be pushing my luck a bit too far grin

I neither hunt nor allow any hunting/shooting of the song dogs on my place. Why?
First, I realize that they eat deer. But, they also hammer the pigs that we are loaded with. The pigs are taking over the place. I no longer can plant wheat patches for deer. The hogs root the whole crop up. I’ve declared war on them since TPWD and other Guv Agencies have retired from the field. I hunt them year around.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP