Originally Posted by gehajake
Hunting coyotes at night has become a big thing around here, they have made it legal to hunt them with lights at night, and its a blast, some use night vision scopes but even without, on a bright moonlit night with snow on the ground and a coyote call they will come in close a lot easier then they will in daylight.
They even have a competition up in northwest MO, similar to a bass tournament, everybody meets up at a predetermined location and takes off at a designated time and reports back at a predetermined time and place the next morning, with a monetary prize for the most and the biggest coyote.
I have a friend that is set up with night vision binoculars and scopes and even has a gopro camera mounted on his gun, its crazy how fast they come barreling in to a predator call.
I am definitely going to try it this winter on my place, I dont have many and they are not hurting my deer populations but I do see them on the cameras pretty regular.
I have been successful in trapping a bunch of coons, and my turkey recruitment shows that it is helping.

I'd love to at least dabble in something like that. I have a small collection of federal tax stamps, so I've got the gun & a muffler, but have no NV or thermal toys.

A friend showed me a NV scope he'd bought. Forget which, but I'm thinking he said it was around $3500 & it was incredible. Light years better than the PVS-14s I used for years in the Army & makes the PVS-2 Starlights we used to mount on either our M60s or M2s look absolutely primitive. Made me wonder how on earth I was ever able to drive at night in blackout mode with the -14s. I'd love one for myself, but holy smokes. My wife's a tolerant woman, with the patience of a saint, but that might be pushing my luck a bit too far grin