Originally Posted by gehajake
Originally Posted by FishinRod
When you say too smart on the second attempt, would the GF not come back to the feed when you re-submerged the net prior to the second attempt, or were they so wary that they exploded out of range and escaped when you pulled the net the second time?

I am considering this method for transferring forage fish to the main pond, but I suspect there will be quite a learning curve on the most efficient means of netting the fish.

Very few would come back to the feed and the ones that did would bail at the slightest hint of movement on the net, as for a cast net the same way, my sidekick is pretty proficient at throwing one, and you might catch several on the first try, even after several weeks of not trying, and seldom catch one on the second throw. even tried a seine net but with limited luck, and it was a small forage pond, if one Goldfish finds a gap or crease to escape the whole works bails after him, like rounding up calves, they would frustrate the shit out of us. I dont think other species are as escape minded as goldfish are.

Since goldfish are related to common carp, maybe they have the same level of "smarts"? Common carp are the smartest fish in N. America.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).