Originally Posted by ttdigiacomo
Do you think running the pump at lower RPM moves more water per gallon of gas?

Yes but that wasn't the goal of running it slower. At the very least it allowed me to stay ahead of the water that was coming into the pond via ground water seeing that it was running 24 hours a day vs less than 18 hours a day and keep lowering the water level in the pond at the same time. It allowed me to just fill the gas tank once per day since the pond was a half hour drive one way and not have to re-start/re-prime the pump. I used an old metal outboard motor gas tank that held a hair over 6 gallons. I found that I had to put the bottom of the metal tank at the same height or slightly higher than the stock tank. I brazed a fitting into the tank at the bottom with a shutoff valve on it and a barbed fitting that fit the fuel line and disconnected the regular tank. A regular Outboard motor tank with the top mounted fuel line would not keep siphoning - it would leak a bit of air and the siphon would stop before running 8 hours.

IIRC it took 8 days of running it like that to drain a 1 ac pond that had a max depth of 12'.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).