I have an approx 3/4 acre pond at full pool that I’d like to use as a forage/bait pond. At full pool the pond is about 5’ deep with a few pot holes deeper maybe 6’ or a little deeper. The pond has lots of shore vegetation out to about 10’ into the water. Various grasses and such. No bottom vegetation. This is an established pond. Not sure how old but at least 30 years. The bottom is a brown sand ...not much silt at all. Presently in the pond are LMB, Bluegills, Tilapia, mosquito minnows, eels, Hopalo catfish, walking catfish not sure if there are bullheads or not. Occasionally a gator slips in but I remove them. A few weeks ago I put in 4 lbs of 1”-1.5” fathead minnows and 4 lbs of 3” golden shiners.
I have removed some of the LMB and relocated them to a larger pond that I have.
This pond does draw down pretty good during spring to a couple feet or less sometimes but I have not had a fish kill.
My questions are:
How much of the LMB and catfish should I remove?
I would like to establish good populations of fathead minnows, Golden shiners and potentially crawfish if they would be a good idea and survive. I do have lots of cinder block to put into the pond if needed.
Would minnow spawning habitats be good additions? Pallets, tubes etc? Will fathead minnows survive and spawn in Southwest Florida?
I put the minnows in before I found this forum.
Would appreciate input.

Last edited by LuckyDuck; 11/28/22 10:57 AM.