PK shrimp are adapted to survive even in ponds with extended ice cover such as Dec to ice off in March. I am not sure about longer ice cover conditions. If the PK shrimp are not surviving after stocking then there are 2 very likely reasons. 1. Most Importantly NOT enough good habitat. They need dense finely divided weed cover as refuge and feeding areas. 2. Too many fish present that 'cherry pick' eat them.

IMO if you really want PK shrimp to survive, just put them in a pond with just minnows. Then you will have your own home grown source of minnows and PK shrimp. I am not sure how well PK shrimp would survive with just GSH. Someone needs to try this experiment and then habitat would be important to the outcome - success!. Minnow forage pond would not need to be big. IMO 30ftX30ft would be plenty big enough. I had an associate raise them in an aquarium. So a big tank with good water quality should work okay.

The larger species of Scuds (Gammarus fasciatus or G.lacustris) are a different growing story. They require cooler higher quality water than PK shrimp. Good luck trying to raise them in warm pond habitats.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/23/22 11:52 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management